Wednesday 23 November 2011

Beating the Winter Blues

After my last post, it occurred to me that other than mentioning the common cold, I haven't really talked about any of the other winter ailments that tend to crop up!

winter landscape

I'm sure we all have our own home remedies that we swear by, so I'm going to tell you about mine, and I'd love it if you would consider sharing yours!

So, for the cold! We of course have eucalyptus for the clearing of nasal passages. A wonderful, wonderful thing!

Ginger (raw)

A favorite drink of mine to combat the effects of winter is a fresh ginger tea. You slice up fresh organic ginger as thin as you can, toss it in your kettle or a pot filled with water and let it boil! Once it has gotten strong enough for you; simply strain it, add in a spoonful of honey and drink. It soothes your throat, clears your nose and even help with nausea and stomach problems. Love the stuff. It is quite spicy though! (Note: You can also add a dash of lemon juice!)

If the lack of sun is getting you down, you've probably forgotten to take Vitamin D. Your body makes it naturally when you're out in the sun, but if you live in Canada and your days have shortened to about 30 minutes, you need to help your body out! I take the capsules, my parents take the liquid -- try them out and find one that works for you. You'll notice the difference, trust me!

Sun Over Inuvik

What do you do when you find the Winter Blues are setting in?

Photos courtesy of David Blackwell, SingChan and EclecticBlogs.


__________________________
If you enjoyed this post, why not Subscribe to Organically Inclined!

No comments:

Post a Comment